An online or at-home abortion is a medical abortion, also called the abortion pill, that a woman obtains, administers, and monitors on her own at home. Getting the abortion pill online has become more common among women experiencing an abortion. Though this choice may seem convenient, it puts women at risk for severe complications. For this reason, the FDA recommends that women not obtain the abortion pill online.
If you are unexpectedly pregnant and considering obtaining abortion drugs online, you deserve a safer option. Keep reading to understand the dangers that online abortion presents.
Abortion Safety Measures
Obtaining abortion drugs online bypasses safety measures that have been developed for the safety of women. While these guidelines cannot remove all risks from the abortion procedure, they can limit the chance of them.
Even in Telehealth, the necessary safety requirements cannot all be met.
The Cleveland Clinic recommends that before a woman uses abortion drugs, she has the following:
- Physical with vitals, bloodwork, and medical history review
- Ultrasound (to confirm, date, and locate the pregnancy)
- Understanding of the procedure, the risks, and the side effects
Some women are not eligible for a medical abortion. This is why a physical and ultrasound are essential steps to take before an abortion; a prescribing provider should have all possible information about the pregnancy before recommending a medical abortion. Medical abortion may be unsafe in the following situations:
- The pregnancy is over 10 weeks
- The pregnancy is not located in a woman’s uterus (ectopic pregnancy)
- Have a blood clotting disorder or significant anemia
- Have a chronic adrenal failure
- Use long-term corticosteroids
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Have an allergy to the medications used
- Do not have access to emergency care
- Do not have access to follow-up care
Drugs of Unknown Origin
The FDA also recommends against purchasing the abortion pill online because they cannot regulate drugs purchased online. The FDA regulates medications purchased in the US for safety, effectiveness, and quality. However, when medication is purchased online, there is no way to ensure the origin, the correct dosage, or even the medication ingredients. Only approved pharmacies can be trusted to provide regulated medication.
Need More Info?
If you are considering an abortion, prioritize your health and safety. Before the procedure, obtain a free ultrasound from Pregnancy Center West. Discuss your options with our knowledgeable staff and get the answers you need to make a confident, informed decision. Make an appointment today.